- 4 slices bread (bread of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves fine chopped
- 1 mediums onion sliced thinly
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 pinch salt as needed (very little since cheese is salted)
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes or chopped green chilli
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese (adjust to taste)
Making Sandwich Stuffing Mixture:
- Firstly, rinse or wipe the mushrooms and then chop them. Then heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan. You could also use butter instead of olive oil.
- Add ½ teaspoon chopped garlic. Sauté till the raw aroma of garlic goes away. No need to brown the garlic.
- Then add ⅓ cup chopped spring onions with the greens. Sauté for a minute on a low to mediums flame. You can also add ⅓ cup chopped onions. If adding onions, then Sauté till they are translucent.
- Now add the chopped mushrooms.
- Stir and Sauté them on a low to mediums flame.
- Initially the mushrooms will leave lot of water.
- Once all the water has evaporated, add 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or coriander leaves. Also add salt as per taste. You can add any dried herb or fresh herbs of your choice.
- Mix well. Switch off the flame
Making Mushroom Sandwich:
- Take the bread slices. slices the edges if you want. You can use whole wheat bread, multi grain bread or brown bread or white bread. Spread the mushroom filling on the bread slices.
- Top with another bread. Repeat the same with other bread slices.
- Place mushroom sandwich in a preheated toaster or grill. You can also toast these sandwiches in a hand-held stove top toaster.
- Grill the sandwiches till crisp and golden.
- slices the grilled sandwiches.
- Serve mushroom sandwich hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.